Header Home About Me Shop Freebies Contact FB IG Pinterest TPT Bloglovin email

Saturday, March 9, 2013

When You Subtract With a Pirate....

Good afternoon! I wanted to take a moment to blog about my kiddos' current favorite video obsession at the moment - When You Subtract With a Pirate, by Harry Kindergarten! Does anyone else use his AMAZING videos in their classroom? My kids can't get over any of them, but this is the one they are begging me for at the moment:


This song is so fun, even my teaching neighbor and I were singing it practically every day for a week. It's a great little way to teach your students about subtraction! The song is pretty long and includes word problems. After we had learned and sung the song for a few days, I gave my kids some white boards and each time the video came to one of the word problems, I would pause it and the kids would write and solve the number sentence on their own. Then I'd continue playing the video so they could check their work and see if they were right!

I began to notice that it helped my kiddos start to solve their subtraction number sentences more quickly and more were able to solve it mentally without having to draw a picture when we got to our independent practice.

I really love using all of his videos in my kinder class! They are so fun and fantastical!

5 comments:

  1. So cute! And definitely catchy. I will have to share this with my kiddos, I have several pirate fanatics who will love it!

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to use this next week! We are just starting subtraction! Thanks for sharing!

    Kimberly Ann
    Live, Laugh, I love Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  3. This video cracked me up! I would love to use it in my room, but my district has a ban on YouTube. Any chance it is on School Tube?
    Christina’s Kinder Blossoms

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I couldn't find that one on schooltube! :( But they do have tons of the other Harry Kindergarten videos on there, so you'll have to check out some of those!

      Delete
  4. This is really an interesting topic. I had a great time surfing and found some important tips and information from your blog. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete